Feb 5, 2012

SLUMDOG

I grew up in the slums of a place called MS university
Life is what they call it but mom was looking for epiphany
Back when I was seven and my sister was five
We didn’t know life was tough but we managed to survive.

Mom’s prayers brought us to the land of Malaysia
Didn’t know where it was till I landed here ,the heart of Asia
Nothing beats the feeling like I belonged
Wasn’t feeling alienated cause it was like I was home

I learnt how to live, I learnt how to love
Cultures intertwined from two nations which I’m proud of
No one comprehends the passion I have for this little country
Yet I can still speak to you about it very humbly

Twelve years passed without missing the motherland
I found my love and lived the life in this little wonderland
For fifteen years,  I loved unrequited
No security provided but we stayed as decided.

Mom still teaches and dad just finished learning
I’m not gonna wait for another prince charming
To take us  out of our foreign battles
Cause I won’t let us fall under those  prattles
Life outside is tougher than it looks
But I am not ready to take up  these hooks
For even this place that I’ve loved my whole life
Can tear me up like a steak knife.

This is a constant fight that I can’t bear to lose
For my family or country  I need not choose.
Working hard to be the sole provider
No giving up even when life gets harder.

No comments: